2016 was an odd year for me as a writer. In many ways I achieved a lot. I successfully completed a Masters in Creative Writing, I made loads of new connections in the writing world and I completed a lot of projects, including my Masters Thesis Novella “Trick or Treat”.
However, in many ways it was also a failure. I didn’t achieve a lot of my goals. Many of the projects I had intended to complete in 2016 remain unfinished, and many of the projects I intended to start remain in the idea phase. Along with that, I have not been reading nearly as much as I would like, and nowhere near as much as I once did.
2017 is going to be a big year. I’ve got a lot of plans, and I am determined I am going to make this year a success in terms of my own writing. I have set myself the following goals for this year:
- Write Every Day- This is a simple one yet something I’ve struggled with over the last year or two. I am going to write every day this year, even if it is only a tiny amount.
- Get published- By the end of this year I hope to have either self-published something, or to have been offered traditional publication.
- Get three pieces accepted into anthologies or journals.
- Enter a minimum of six writing competitions. Ideally I will enter a lot more than this, but the absolute minimum has to be six competitions this year.
- Blog at least once a week- I’m going to be updating this blog at least once a week. It might be a fiction piece, it might be a rambling piece, it might be a review, but I will update once a week.
- I want to start other blogs to run alongside this one. The first of these will likely be an entirely horror focused one.
- Start YouTubing- Along with blogging here, I intend to start vlogging about books and writing on YouTube.
- Read a minimum of one book a week- As I mentioned, I’ve not been reading as much as I would have liked. This year, I want to read at least one book a week.
- Network- One thing I’ve managed to do in 2016 is network with other writers a lot. This was one of the perks of the Masters. This year, I hope to continue to expand my writing network.
- One of the projects I would like to begin work on this year is also the planning of both a fiction and non-fiction podcast I want to start. I’ll post updates on those as progress is made.
- Fiction serials- I’m going to start posting my first fiction serial very soon this year. These will be episodic stories, with new episodes posting each week.
I’m setting myself a lot of targets for the year ahead, and I fully intend to keep to as many of them as possible. As goals are reached, I’ll update the list. If new goals are added, I’ll update the list. 2017 is going to be a good writing year. I wish the same for all the rest of you.